A 5-year-old boy in Bartow County, Georgia is being hailed a hero after his quick thinking saved his entire family from a fire.
Noah Woods was at home asleep when he woke up and discovered his room was on fire. Rather than panicking, he woke up his 2-year-old sister sleeping in the same room, and they both climbed out the window to escape the flames.
But after he and his sister got out, Noah realized he had left behind someone important—their dog. So he went back and rescued the dog, too.
After that, he went next door to get help from his uncle, and they were able to get the other six family members still asleep in the home out of the house and away from the fire, as well.
Five people in the family, including Noah, were treated at the hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation, but besides that, everyone is doing just fine.
The Bartow County Fire Department shared Noah’s story, praising him for his heroics.
“Noah is credited for saving himself and 7 other family members,” they wrote on Facebook. “On Friday BCFD Chief Dwayne Jamison will recognize him as an Honorary Bartow County Firefighter and present him with a Lifesaving Award.”
Our hero! 5 year old Noah Woods recently woke up to find his bedroom on fire. The only available exit was a window. He...Posted by Bartow County Fire Department on Tuesday, February 11, 2020
“We’ve seen children alert their families before, but for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this…that’s pretty extraordinary,” Jamison told CNN.
The fire was reportedly caused by an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah’s bedroom.
Though things could have been a lot worse for the Woods family, their home is considered a total loss.
David Woods, Noah’s grandfather, started a GoFundMe to raise money for the family of 9 (and their very lucky dog) to stay in a motel until they can find a small house to rent while they rebuild.
“We thank God for our Noah and his heroic actions,” he wrote. “If it wasn’t for Noah, we may not be here today.”